One of WA’s leading regional heritage architects, David was, until his recent retirement, a Director of H+H Architects in Albany. He has worked extensively on heritage buildings in metropolitan and regional WA including Fremantle Prison, Old Farm Strawberry Hill, Albany Court House Precinct, and Breaksea Island Houses. David has been involved in a range of community and cultural development committees in Albany and has had a particular interest in the conservation and interpretation of the many heritage buildings and precincts in the Albany Region. He was awarded the Heritage Award in 2006 for outstanding commitment to heritage conservation and interpretation in Western Australia by an individual.
David’s experience with institutional, commercial and heritage projects, together with his understanding of issues from a regional perspective, provides an added strength to the Heritage Council.
Qualifications and background
- BArch (Hons) University of Western Australia
- Associate of Royal Australian Institute of Architect
- HCWA Heritage Ambassador, 2006
- Member of various committees in Albany for cultural planning and development, urban planning and community housing.
- Director, Howard + Heaver Architects Pty Ltd (based in Albany), 2007 to date
- Director, David Heaver Architect Pty Ltd (based in Albany), 1996-2007
- Involved in the preparation of a number of conservation plans for heritage sites in Albany and the Great Southern region. These include Old Farm Strawberry Hill, Waychinicup Sealers Oven, Vancouver Arts Centre, Cull Cottage, the former Albany Primary School, Albany Courthouse Precinct, Kookas, Albany Town Hall, Gnowangerup Aboriginal Centre, Albany House, Hawthorndene, the Butterick Building and St Elizabeth Church.
- Conservation works at various heritage sites in Albany and the Great Southern region. These include Wagin Town Hall, Old Farm Strawberry Hill, The Rocks, Vancouver Arts Centre, Cull Cottage, the Old Post Office, Camp Quaranup, Albany Visitor Centre, The Forts, the Bond Store, the Breaksea Island Houses, Broomehill Public Buildings, the Old Gaol and the Amity Precinct.
- Responsible for establishing and managing the Heritage and Special Projects Branch of the Building Management Authority (State government agency), 1993-1995
- Responsible for the project management of the Conservation and Future Use of the Fremantle Prison Complex, 1991-1995